Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Beginning Life in London!


My first week and a half in London has been a whirlwind! For the most part, it has been completely great and exciting, as I have began to explore new places and immerse myself into a new culture. I can already tell it is going to be an amazing next three months and I am so excited for all that is in store! I love this place!! However, I have also experienced times of irritation, frustration, and being a bit overwhelmed with this new way of life. 

But all in all, I have learned so much this past week!

So here’s a list of a few things I have learned through my adventure so far! And I know there is still so so much more that I have yet to learn!

*Bathrooms are called toilets! And a lot of other words are randomly different too. I think it will take me a long time to actually feel comfortable asking someone to direct me to the toilets, as opposed to the bathroom! I don’t know why, I just feel weird saying it!! Also, my favorite leafy green, arugula, is called rocket! And I’m not entirely sure why.
*Don’t tip like crazy at restaurants! Apparently, you aren’t supposed to tip the regular 18% at restaurants! Sometimes, service charges are included on the bill and if not, people generally wouldn’t tip over 10%! And it’s not even weird if you don’t tip at all! Imagine doing that in the US!
*Having a chip in your debit card is a perk! The chip machines are used literally everywhere here!!!
*I take cellular data for granted! Both Morgan and I spent the first week here without cellular data at all, and had to rely solely on places we could get wifi! Being in a new country without data and trying to navigate yourself around without actually being able to use maps or siri is kind of difficult! Oh, but once you do get data (which we did end up doing), Citymapper and Zomato are the best apps ever to satisfy all of our direction and restaurant needs!
*Public transportation or walking is how everyone gets around, but it is kind of confusing at first! Between the double decker buses and the tube, you can get just about anywhere.
*It’s okay to get frustrated and feel overwhelmed! I was super frustrated the first few days with not being able to figure out anywhere Morgan and I were going and not having internet access on my phone to look things up! We made several mistakes on the buses and ended up getting on the wrong route once. But, as it turns out, it is really easy to get used to! Not to brag, but I already feel like we are becoming Bus and Tube pros!!
*Feeling uncomfortable is normal and okay! Even though I do not have to deal with a language barrier (thank goodness), London is still very different than anywhere I have ever been! And it can be slightly uncomfortable as I adapt to this new way of life! I have had times of feeling like the annoying American, as I ask loads of questions to locals for directions and guidance. And I have had times of just feeling awkward and out of place! But I know that with time, these feelings will subside and I will start to feel like I fit in!
*Prepare for jetlag! Both Morgan and I had at least one night of virtually no sleep! Thank goodness for my emergen-zzzz!
*Good news for the cliche American, Starbucks is basically the same, aside from a slightly different cup!

London has been so exciting and eventful! I just LOVE it here and am sooo ecstatic to be here. And despite the difficulties and challenges that I know I am bound to face, I am so glad to be stepping out of my comfort zone and experiencing new things!!!

Here are a few of the things we’ve done so far!







Here's to learning new things!
<3Bren



No comments:

Post a Comment