Monday, March 14, 2016

WALES!

I didn't really know what to expect when Morgan and I traveled to Wales for the weekend to meet some of her extended family and explore. We took a horrible nearly 8 hour bus ride to the city of Aberystwyth, which I have only just learned to spell (& say, for that matter). 

We were warmly welcomed by two of her sweet relatives, Elsie and Morris. They brought us into their home, made us traditional home cooked meals and hung out with us! 


As it turns out, the town of Aberystwyth is beautiful!! It was wonderfully warm, so we got to stroll along the seafront, ate a traditional Sunday lunch at the Marine hotel (also owned by some of Morgan's relatives), walked around the castle, and visited the countryside to see the abundance of sheep or lamb (tbh, I don't know which is which)! 










But now (even though I sadly don't have any pics of it), I must rave about how amazing the lunch was. It was literally like having a Thanksgiving meal in March, and ps - I LOVE Thanksgiving food, so it was heaven. So we started out with a “starter” and I had some quiche and bread with butter! I wouldn't have had so much of the starter if I would've known all the goodness that was to come! So the actual meal started and we were given the meat portion which consisted of slices of beef, turkey, and ham with the most amazing mint sauce! And then we had stuffing with gravy, amazing crispy potatoes, cheesy baked cauliflower, and Yorkshire pudding (which kind of reminded me of a croissant)! And, the cranberry sauce with all of this food was the best cranberry sauce I have ever tasted! So, that was the savory part of lunch! And even though I was already soo full, we had to try some sweets after because c'mon, gotta try everything! So I got this delicious butterscotch crème puff that was so creamy and some bread and butter pudding! 

BEST lunch ever! Thank you Morgan's relatives and the Marine hotel! 

This weekend I learned:

1) People in Wales are really talented - most can speak both Welsh and English fluently! I wish I could speak two languages fluently!

2) Wales is dang pretty!!! And you can go from the countryside to the seafront in about 10 minutes!

3) Coach bus rides all the way to Aberystwyth SUCK! Yes, it's cheap, really cheap, but it is not fun! Don't do it. Both ways consisted of 8 hours of pure misery on narrow, windy roads. And on the way back, about 15 minutes into the bus ride, the man sitting diagonal to us projectile vomited everywhere. What a lovely way to start an already miserably long bus ride!!!:) Okay, maybe I'm a baby, but if you know me well, you know I am absolutely terrified of throw up, so this was like my own personal nightmare!

4) Morgan has a lot of extended family in Wales! And I'm not sure how most of them are related to her, but everyone was extremely nice and welcoming, so that was a plus!

If Wales is in your travel plans, I highly recommend taking a plane or train to Aberystwyth, because despite the commute, the town is totally worth it!:)

Have a great week all! 

<3Bren

No comments:

Post a Comment